Updated : 17 February 2008
Thoughts on ZF40 scopes
From the observation of the markings on ZF41 scopes, there seems to
be interesting facts concerning ZF40 reworked ZF41 or ZF41/1, as the following.
- The ZF40 manufacturers are only cag, cxn, dow and presumably eso.
- Those scopes are identical with the late ZF41(Type2) or ZF41/1 except the
markings, and no early types (ZF41 Type1) which are shown on G41 manual
D191/1 dated 16.2.1943 is observed.
- Their way of altering '40' to '41' or '41/1' is different by each scope manufacturers.
See the pictures >>> ZF40 Markings
- The manufacturer cag made only ZF40 (reworked), since scopes originally
marked ZF41 or ZF41/1 are not encountered.
- From the serial number study;
It is clear that cxn made some original ZF41 and ZF41/1 between the above
|Lowest Serial# observed
|Highest Serial# observed
|Estimated production number
The interesting thing is that although the serial number
location of cxn ZF40-41 are at the ocular tube, those of ZF41 are all at
the center tube until higher serial range (145000-).
From the facts above, here are some thoughts on ZF40 scopes.
- These reworks were done at each factory. (Difficult to think Waffenmeisters
or Waffenfeldwebels changed the way of altering by the scope manufacturers.)
- Those reworked ZF40 never went out of the factory as original ZF40. (Hard
to think the scopes were gathered at the fields and selected by each manufacture
to be sent home.) So they were stocked at each factory for some reason
until they were determined to be reworked, and then they were sent to the
field at last. The reason for this is not clear, but I believe it is concerned
with disappointments and production delay of G41. Thus, although the existence
of a few ten thousand G41 with mount rails for ZF40, no mass produced G41
fitted with ZF40 were applied, only limited field trials at best.
- Even though early ZF41 were made from 1941 (i.e. ones with 'K.F.' markings),
the ZF40 were produced much later, mainly in 1943 which is same time as
late ZF41 and ZF41/1.
- The manufacturer cag and dow must have ceased production soon after the alteration, within 1943.
Info still needed!!
ZF40 mystery is still unsolved. More information on ZF41 scopes would
certainly be a clue. I am still waiting for your information!